Chlamydia psittaci PCR*
- Dry swab from cloaca, respiratory tract or conjunctiva
Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease PCR*
- Blood or blood feathers
Polyoma virus PCR*
- Blood, blood spot or blood feathers
Marek's disease PCR
- Blood feathers, fresh liver, fresh spleen
- Blood spot on filter paper or blood feathers
Avian Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV)
- Viral swab in PBS media. Please phone the laboratory before submission
Avian Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus (ILT)
- Dry swab for PCR only (viral swab in PBS media if typing required)
Mycobacterium spp PCR
- Dry swab of lesions or cloaca, fresh tissue, fixed tissue, paraffin-embedded tissue
* Tests can be requested individually or as part of the Avian PCR Panel (1, 2, or 3 organisms)
Plain yellow-top container (blood feathers, swabs, two blood spots on filter paper, fresh tissue)
Lithium heparin or EDTA (Blood)
Blood feather - Pluck two blood feathers ensuring there is blood present within the feather quill. Select feathers that are grossly abnormal if PBFDV is supected.
Blood spots - Place a drop of blood on to filter or blotting paper and allow to dry. Blood spots must be at least 6 mm diameter.
Dry swabs - rub the swab firmly over the mucosa (cloacal, conjunctival, oropharygeal) to ensure sufficient cells are collected.